Thursday, August 25, 2011

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda Before Bully Season

SolutionsforBullying@gmail.com www.SolutionsforBullying.com



Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda is among one of my favorite phrases.  Unfortunately, I am using it again as it pertains to bullying.

Last school year in April and May and again in July I contacted my son’s school counselor to make sure that the bully was not in any of his classes.  I did not receive a call back so I ASSUMED this was taken care of and there would be no issue.  A week ago I called and e-mailed again but copied the principal, vice principal, superintend and the counselor.  Again, no reply.  How odd, I thought to myself.  After all we did to help our school why would I not get a call back?  After a few more calls and e-mails late last night I did get a call back.  A somewhat nervous member of the staff informed me that the bully was indeed in a class and his locker was very close to my son.  How could this happen?  After I called and e-mailed so many times!

So what would I do differently?  It is pretty simple.

I shouda, I coulda, I woulda at the end of last year made an appointment with the principal and team to make sure the bully was not in any of his classes and his locker is on a different floor.  If I did not get a reply back I would show up at the school and politely requested to speak to the team. 

I feel pretty confident that this issue is going to be rectified right away.  I insisted that it was not my son that was going to be moved but the bully.  The bully needs consequences, not the victim.  That would just be punished the wrong child.

My advice, plan ahead and if you do not get anywhere show up and ask for an appointment.  Be professional at all times but be firm.  This way you will not have a  shoulda, woulda, coulda on your hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment